Saturday, February 23

Things I've Learned: Part 1

So I'm a mom. In every sense of the word. However, I haven't experienced every blessed moment of motherhood. I can't wait for first steps, play dates, school days, and dance recitals. There are soccer games to be won (or at least hard fought), training bras to awkwardly shop for, and boys to chase away. But until those days are upon us, I am rapidly acquiring knowledge at a seemingly superhuman rate. Between online reading during nursing sessions and conversations with btdt moms, and of course the school of hands-on learning, I feel like I've learned more about babies than I learned all the way through college. To that end, I kept an ongoing list of tips and tricks I tried (and liked) and wanted to post them here before it was too late for others to benefit. This way, I can also skip the awkward "I don't really need advice" comments from other moms who'd rather "learn through chemistry," to quote my mother.

Here they are:
1) Don't wash your disposable booby pads. They have this weird gel inside them that gets all over the washing machine. It's gross. And I cloth diaper, so you know I'm serious.

2) Feed for 3 minutes, burp for 5. My little miss had such bad reflux at first, and my letdown was pretty strong. We both went through so many outfits those first few weeks because of all the spit up. If I could get a good burp out during the feeds, I found we did so much less laundry.

3) Figure out how to get chores done in 20 minute increments. My little one's naps were so unpredictable at first. So 20 minutes was about all I had to do things in. Figuring out a schedule for tasks will save your mind. Maybe dishes during the morning nap, laundry during the afternoon, and a general pick up during the evening so that the house resembles a shadow of its pre-baby self. Later on, naps get longer (but less frequent), so this schedule will change. :)

4) It's okay to have scary thoughts. You're going to worry about your baby. You're going to freak out, cry with them, and feel so helpless at times. But talk to someone- another mom, a doctor, your husband. Just talk it out. I was diagnosed with PPA and getting the help I needed to get a handle on my anxiety was what was best for my daughter, and my mental health.

5) Windex and febreeze does wonders for messes on your couch. Especially if you have a microfiber couch, and no expensive cleaners. That dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding was right, after all.

6) Diaper Rash? Use Desitin with 40% zinc oxide. Don't waste your time with another brand, especially if the rash is bad and develops quickly. Little miss was only a few days old when she developed a rash (her poor booty wasn't used to the ammonia in her urine yet). There were other options at the store but they were all around 15% ZO. Then we found the good stuff. It takes about a day to clear up. Usually within one application, the rash looks a whole lot better.

7) In the beginning, nursing is messy. Really really messy. I figured it would eventually get better, since so many moms are able to do it in public without much preplanning. However, for those first few weeks, a receiving blanket on the lap, and a burp rag tucked into the bra under baby's head does wonders. But don't forget to keep something on the other boob. It leaks for quite awhile.

8) Always tie your hair up. Way up. In the first few months, this is to keep it from getting spit up in it. Later, it's to keep it safe from grabby hands. I highly recommend the sock bun.

9) Make your shower count. Especially since you only get one every other day or so. Buy soap you really like. Deep condition your hair. Shave your legs with a good razor.

10) Its okay to have a naked baby. The first few weeks of her life, little miss and I were both au natural for pretty much the whole day. The water bill was thankful that I didn't have so much laundry, and the skin to skin was pretty critical for my breast milk supply.

Take it or leave it. These are some of the things I've learned. There are more to come, but keep in mind that my experiences are completely my own. If there is one thing I truly take away from all my online and in person research, it's that every baby is completely different, and you just have to learn as you go. My tricks are more universal, but they still just may not be right for you and your family. That's what makes motherhood so difficult and rewarding. You have to figure out so much, but when you do, you feel like you accomplished more that you ever did in all your years of school. You are the expert of your own little one, so don't ever let anyone think they know better. Question everything, your little one depends on your doing so. :)

Now go snuggle with the sweetest little thing in your life and ignore the callings of the laundry, dishes, and everything else that "needs" to get done. It's not as pressing as it tries to make you believe. Your baby grows way too quickly.

The days are long, but the years are short.
xxo


3 comments:

Kate Kootstra said...

love this!!!! thanks so much for sharing, Jillian! My baby adventure starts in about 12 days! :) I love the practical wisdom! Hugs!

Mrs. Brown said...

Thank you for sharing! So well written. Your heart shines through in your writing.

Jillian said...

Thanks ladies! Hopefully these provide a little bit of help later on. ;)