Alrighty...here is part two of my "Things I've Learned" series. And I'm sure there will be many, many more as my little grows up. :)
11) Drink water. LOTS of water. Even more than you did when you were pregnant. If you don't, one of the worst headaches of your life will pervade into your daily routine...and trust me. A crying baby and a headache do not mix. It also helps keep up your milk supply. I think.
12) Don't get too attached to any outfits that are cute. For either of you, that is... You will rarely leave the house in them before they have spit up, or breast milk, all over them. Or at least in all of the most awkward locations. (read: booby stains).
13) Wash your face, especially your chin and neck. Baby snuggles = clogged pores. :(
14) Sew your own nursing tank top- there is no need to spend $40 at one of those retail stores! It just gets milk all over it any way. All you need to do is buy a spaghetti strap tank in a size or two too small (I used H&M). Cut the straps off, leaving about 1.5-2 inches in the front. Then, sew a loop in the front to hook onto your nursing bra. $5 later and you have a nursing tank that covers the tummy you'd rather not show, all while looking just like a normal tank. Which it is. #winning!
15) Set the babes to nap everywhere. Don't just stick to one spot. I used the swing, the crib, the bassinet, our bed, the couch, my lap, etc. If you can get them to switch it up, they'll be able to sleep anywhere, fingers crossed.
16) Use white noise at every nap and at night. It covers background noise (like adult game nights!) and it can calm them in the car when they freak out those first few months too. My little didn't exactly like the car (and now, just tolerates it), so the white noise app on my phone worked wonders. We bring the white noise machine when we visit family as well. I'm pretty sure we'll need to buy a second machine when S leaves our room, too. We've grown so accustomed to it!
17) Don't quit breastfeeding. Seriously. Don't. No matter what. In very few illnesses do you have to stop. If you can make it past the first week, the next few weeks are a little easier. Then the next month. It is SO hard at first, so use lanolin, warm compresses, pump extra to build up a stash, love your pump at night for a pity session if little is sleeping, and make sure to take care of yourself (eat, drink water). But try your very hardest not to quit. I used to resent feeding her, the let down was so painful and the area was so sensitive. But on the advice of several mommy friends, I stuck with it. And I am SO glad I did. It is my absolute favorite time with her- not only is it nourishment, but it is a true consolation for her, no matter what was upsetting her. Oh, and babies are messy eaters (see #7), but they get neater, I promise. :)
18) Appreciate the time to nurse. Don't rush them. It's a time for both of you to retreat from the chaos and rest together. I can't count how many times I've fallen asleep with her while nursing. (safety first though!) It's a way to escape social situations, a way to soothe a fussy babes, and a really easy thing to never forget when you leave the house!
19) Always wear breast pads. But remember #1 (don't wash them!!!). It is so easy to forget to pull them out of your shirt/bra.
20) If you want to build up a stash of breast milk, start early when you're overproducing, and before your body stabilizes your supply (around 6 weeks). I didn't, mostly because I was tired, and busy. But it is so much easier than trying to bump up your supply when your levels are established. (But I used More Milk Plus and Mother's Milk teas, and it seems to be working to get an extra 5 oz each day...)
More to come later! I'm serious...this list just keeps getting longer and longer!
Much love.
J
No comments:
Post a Comment